Saturday, July 4, 2009

1936 Peugeot 402 Eclipse

1936 Peugeot 402 Eclipse, click picture to enlarge.

The Peugeot 402 was introduced at the Paris automobile show in 1935 with a product line that included the legendary Eclipse, a two door coupe that presented one of the first retractable hardtops in automotive history. The Eclipse was manufactured from 1936 through 1941 and was modeled similar to the Chrysler Airflow with a swept back grill and rear wheel fender skirts. The Eclipse had a 55 horsepower four cylinder engine with a three speed transmission and could reach about 75 miles per hour. The one in this picture had a hand operated retractable top.

The only retractable hardtops that I am familiar with were the 1957 and 58 Ford retractables. The T-birds had removable hardtops but not a true retractable. I did not know that Peugeot made a retractable too.

Send me comments or emails and let me know if you enjoy these old car pics and stories. I know that I do and I suspect there are many other people that would enjoy them if they just knew about this old car blog. Spread the word and let them know about it. That's what I put it up here for. so we could all enjoy it.

No comments: