Monday, June 8, 2009

1956 Ford Sunliner

1956 Ford Sunliner Convertible, click picture to enlarge.

The 1956 Ford was my all time favorite car out of all of the different cars that I have owned. I have had two different1956 Fords at different times and I really did like both of them. The ones that I had were the less expensive four door
town sedans, not the Sunliner or Crestliner or the Crown Victoria, all of which were more expensive than I could afford back then. These cars all had a 292 cid 225 hp Y block engine with a three speed Fordamatic automatic transmission. The speedometer registered up to 120 mph and both cars that I had would hide the speedometer needle down behind the 120 mph mark so I know that they would run at least 130 mph or better. I can remember that there were two girls in Atlanta that had a red and white 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air that I used to see somewhere aound the Varsity Drivein. they would pull up beside me and indicate, "Let's drag". The red light changed and there was a cloud of smoke and schreeching rubber and that Chevrolet would beat my Ford taking off but I was ahead of them by the time we got to the next red light. Yep, that Chevrolet, with a hopped up 327 id engine would beat my Ford in the drag but not on a flat out top speed run. I said that their 327 was hopped up because when it was sitting still you could hear it lopeing like it had 3/4 turned racing crankshaft an maybe oversized pistons too. There were two other body styles for the Ford line that were less expensive. One was the Customline and the other was the Mainline models. The 1956 Ford also offered two other engine choices, one was a 272 cid Y-block and a 260 cid six cylinder. Ah, but those were good times.

No comments: